Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gardening, Chickens and Food Freedom.


The Homestead.

 Life gets crazy sometimes. I have been busy getting ready for the start of school. Summer seems to be very short these days. So... as you all know...I am way over due for a post!
The garden is about done. It has been so hot, the peppers have been drying up on the plant! We keep pulling them off and tossing them into the compost. Our peppers are normally the one thing that do really well! We have had almost no rain the last two months. We are watering twice a day but it is not the same as a good rain.
I was going to do a big fall garden but have changed my mind. I am going to plant some beets, spinach, and lettuce, and plant clover as a ground cover.
Big Red

The chickens are almost old enough to start giving us eggs. I can't wait! I can almost taste those fresh homegrown eggs.
Speaking of fresh and homegrown... Warning: Alisha is climbing up on her soap box!  Have you seen the attacks on raw milk? (I was raised on raw, fresh from the udder milk!) I don't know what to say except it is organized crime sanctioned by our government. They come for the milk, cheeses, supplements, juices... when do they come for our eggs? Our gardens? In the name of our safety of course. You know, those FDA, clean, safe, egg factories are much cleaner and safer than the ones in your back yard. Right? I mean, they know whats best for you and your family better than you do. You just need to trust them.
If you are not up to date on the grab for our healthy foods click on the words government and milk up above. You need to know what is going on.
Okay! Climbing off my soap box.
Back to gardening. Here is a great link for planting a fall garden, if you are so inclined.
Don't forget, you can get plans for this awe inspiring Port-a-coop!

I am going to start keeping a list of topics to blog on. I will have a great idea, then when I am ready to blog, I can't remember what I wanted to blog about. So I am going to keep a list next to my computer. What would you like to see on here? I am open to suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment